Skipton Golf Club started its life as Craven Golf Club on the banks of the River Aire in Gargrave. It moved to its present location in 1896 and became Skipton Golf Club shortly after, finally becoming an 18 hole course in 1980.
The first General meeting of the Club was held in April 1893 when Sir Mathew Wilson, Baronet was elected President. 128 years later, in 2021, we elected the first female President of our Club.
Subscriptions in 1893 were 1½ guineas and we had just 29 members including 2 Sirs, a Lord, 5 Reverends, 3 ladies and a Colonel. The ladies paid the same as the men, just as they do today!